- Alphabetize the reference list by the last names of the authors (or editors)
- Invert all authors’ names and use initials only instead of full first names
- 2-7 authors: separate the authors by a comma and put a & before the last author's name, e.g.:
- Kristof, N.D., & WuDunn, S. (2010)...
- Tang, P., Yuan, W., & Tseng, H. (2005)...
- More than 7 authors: list the first six authors, then add 3 dots followed by the last author's name, e.g.:
- Gilbert, D. G., McClernon, J. F., Rabinovich, N. E., Sugai, C., Plath, L. C., Asgaard, G., ... Botros, N. (2004)...
GROUP AS AN AUTHOR (organizations, associations, government agencies, etc.)
- alphabetize by the first word of the group other than A, An, or The. Full official names should be used. For example, The American Psychological Association would be entered as:
American Psychological Association. (2008)...
- move the title to the author position before the date of publication; alphabetize the entry by the first significant word of the title, e.g.:
- Webster's third new international dictionary, unabridged. (2004). Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster.
TWO OR MORE WORKS BY THE SAME AUTHOR IN DIFFERENT YEARS
- arrange the entries by year, the earliest first, e.g.
- Blitzer, R. (2007). ..
- Blitzer, R. (2009). ...
TWO OR MORE WORKS BY THE SAME AUTHOR IN THE SAME YEAR
- arrange the entries alphabetically by title. Add the letters “a,” “b,” etc. after the year:
- Baheti, J. R. (2001a). ...
- Baheti, J. R. (2001b). …
- in-text include the letters, e.g.: (Baheti, 2001a)
TWO OR MORE WORKS BY THE SAME AUTHOR AS SINGLE AUTHOR AND AS LEADING AUTHOR
- one author entries precede multiple author entries (even if the year is later)
- Lutz, P. (2013)
- Lutz, P., & Cook, B. (2008)
- Lutz, P., Cook, B., & Arend, D. (2008)
AUTHORS WITH THE SAME LAST NAME AND SAME INITIALS
AUTHORS WHOSE NAME HAS A SUFFIX (like Jr., Sr., I, II, III, etc.)
- include the suffix in the reference list entry, e.g.:
- Stone, B., Jr. (2012). ...
- in-text do not include the suffix, e.g.: ....(Stone, 2012)